As a foreigner in France, you need to know that for so many French people you will be resented as a presumed rich foreigner. This seems to be the okay for French people of all backgrounds (not just the angry poor people) to charge you a “special” higher price for goods (including houses) or services, cheat you, and pretend not to notice when others are cheating you.
So, what are the 3 ways the France riots still affect foreigners in France? You need to know that
- France is a land of equality for all French men. Read: If you are not French, then it is not equal for you. This goes for rich foreigners and poor people who are not originally of French descent.
- Cars are burned routinely everyday all over France – riots or none. Park accordingly.
- Expect French people to treat you differently and for lots of them (more than you would like to think) to cheat you whenever possible.
What can you do about this inequality that triggered the France riots and accounts for these problems?
Again, 3 things:
- Do your homework so that you know the going rate and true market value for goods and services.
- Take full advantage of available resources
- Network with other expats by using the many forums, such as [http://www.SouthernFrenchAccents.com/forums], and attending meetings of expat groups in France.